Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Remove from Multiquote Add to Multiquote
Add Reply
New Japan Pro Wrestling; AKA Vince McMahon's competition
Topic Started: Feb 18 2014, 08:59 AM (24,655 Views)
CultOfHey
Member Avatar
hey its a belt right
Posted Image

Wanted to make a post about it after some discussion watching RAW with the squad last night. What do you all think about this promotion?

It's a far cry from what we see on RAW or Smackdown!, delivering good pacing in almost every match and more crowd pops than any one man can wish for. Some of the talent over there is absolutely amazing, and they're not beefcake musclebound steroidmonsters. In fact, NJPW makes me wish a guy like Ziggler could get a week off and head over there to show off what he can actually do in the ring.

Also, I adore the concept and execution of Bullet Club. Those crazy, crazy gaijin.
Offline Profile Quote Goto Top

BelmontLegend
Member Avatar
Furious Dancer
I catch New Japan whenever I get the chance. I have a blast watching it personally. Tons of great talent. Bullet Club is obviously great but I think I enjoy most of that entire roster. Especially Goto aka GOTO BED!

Happyman
Member Avatar

I'm a Shinsuke mark for life and him losing the IC to Bad Luck Fale will break my heart if it happens.

Been thoroughly enjoying the matches I've seen in Best of the Super Juniors. Gotta remember to wake up early so I can catch it live for once...

CommanderVid
Member Avatar
that's right snake
This thread is really fuckin dead, and it would be a shame if there wasn't enough interest surrounding the 1st/2nd best wrestling product in the world right now. I was gonna wait until the next big show to do this, but I want to take a look at what's going on right now in NJPW, which is the Best of the Super Juniors 2014.

What BOSJ is is a big tournament for Japan's Junior Heavyweight division (basically the smaller half of the roster.) There are 16 participants this year, split up into two eight-man round robin groups firstly, with the top two from each group advancing on to the finals. The winner is added to the prestigious list of BOSJ winners, and a shot at the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship, which is currently held by the red-hot Kota Ibushi.

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 2014
Block ABlock B
TAKA Michinoku (8)
KUSHIDA (8)
Máscara Dorada (6)
Bushi (6)
Ricochet (6)
Matt Jackson (6)
Jushin "Thunder" Liger (4)
Alex Koslov (withdrew)
Taichi (6)
Kenny Omega (6)
Ryuusuke Taguchi (6)
Rocky Romero (6)
El Desperado (4)
Tiger Mask IV (4)
Alex Shelly (4)
Nick Jackson (4)

Block A:
TAKA Michinoku
-Anyone who was a big fan of the WWF during the Attitude Era should be familiar with this guy. Leader of the Kaientai faction at the time, which was also the name of the dojo he founded in Japan. He missed a little bit of action for a while while he ran his own Michinoku Pro promotion, but he seems to be back with NJPW full-time right now. He's doing well so far, but he's still pretty damn old at 40 years old. Despite this, he's very fit in the ring, using a great mix of comedy and high-speed spots, and still using the Michinoku driver still as a finisher. He's currently part of the Suzuki-gun faction, lead by Minoru Suzuki, but I will probably have more to say about them during the next iPPV. Having said all this, I would really doubt TAKA would take this year's BOSJ over a younger guy in the company.

KUSHIDA
-Speaking of, KUSHIDA is who many consider to be the front-runner for this year. Not too much younger at 31, but incredibly competent in the ring, KUSHIDA's been underrated for years. First appearing for NJPW in 2010's BOSJ while still under contract for another promotion, SMASH, he left SMASH to join NJPW full-time in 2011. At the moment, he has, and bear with me for this, a Back to the Future gimmick, which he uses as a part of the Time Splitters tag team. He wears Marty McFly's jacket to the ring, his trunks are emblazoned with a lot of clock and time references, and at NJPW's biggest show of the year, he came out in an honest-to-god DeLorean. He's got a few finishers, a corkscrew moonsault called the Midnight Express, the 9469/Kushida Lock (a crossface with a knee to the back) and, more recently, the Kimura Lock, which he calls the Hoverboard Lock. He tops his group with TAKA right now, keep an eye on him to go far for sure.

Máscara Dorada
-Currently contracted to CMLL, this guy's a big name in Mexico. Don't confuse him with Máscarita Dorada, also known as El Torito, though. He doesn't get a ton of use in NJPW, mostly because they don't own him, but he's exactly what you'd expect from a world-class luchador. Lots of flips, lots of dives, he walks the ropes a lot which is unique, but he's got little chance to take the whole thing. Apparently he uses a corkscrew somersault senton bomb for a finisher, which I have not seen but holy shit that sounds really cool.

BUSHI
-No, it's not Reyrey. Yes I know he looks like Reyrey. A very western-style luchador, despite being definitely from Japan. He hasn't made many splashes in NJPW as far as I can tell, coming in from AJPW in 2012. It seems that he's often overshadowed by the other masked wrestlers on the roster, and he's another who won't go far most likely. Expect similar offence to Dorada, with more 450 splashes as finishes.

Ricochet
-Probably the hottest prospect on the independent circuit right now, Ricochet is a flipping God. As in, a God of flipping. An American, currently signed to Dragon Gate (the company that brought us PAC aka Adrian Neville,) the guy does a ton of flips in the middle of the ring even if nobody else is in it. Incredibly precise, very entertaining and built like Hercules, he's been asked back to BOSJ after a few appearances over the last few years. He takes finishers to a whole new level, including a 630 senton, fireman's carry into a roundhouse kick or, his true masterpiece of a move, a double rotation moonsault. Look up some videos of it sometime, it's beautiful to watch. Despite being fucking amazing and liked by many, being signed to DG makes it a little hard to believe that he'll take the whole thing this year. Maybe he'll make top 2 in the group, though.

Matt Jackson
-One half of the Young Bucks alongside his brother, the current IWGP Jr Tag Team Champions and PWG Tag Team Champions. In fact, up until a few weeks ago, they were these two AND the ROH Tag Team Champions. Well decorated, but not very well-liked by many. They like superkicks and spots, so expect to see superkicks. And spots. Lots of spots. Fomerly in TNA as part of Genertaion Me, a lot of his and his brother's matches are the same. When you've seen one Young Bucks match, you've probably seen them all. These guys put on a match where a 450 splash and a spike tombstone were used, and the match ended on an armbar. That's really them in a nutshell. Diving corkscrew moonsault cutter.

Jushin "Thunder" Liger
-In short: a legend. One of the most revolutionary Jr Heavyweights in history, Liger holds the record for most reigns as IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion, which is the main belt for Jrs, holding it 11 times over his career for a combined 2245 days. He innovated the Shooting Star Press and made waves all over the world with his presence. Unlike most masked characters in Japanese wrestling, it's still the same guy under the mask after all these years, but he's running out of time pushing 50. Still perfectly competent in the ring, you'll definitely see a better match out of him than, say, The Great Muta or Masahiro Chono. He's won three of these, once while going undefeated, so I doubt he'll be winning this one too.

Alex Koslov
-One half of the Forever Hooligans, this Russian born wrestler unfortunately injured himself during his first match against Ricochet. It's a shame, because he's very fun to watch, a mix of athletic American indie style and fantastic comedy spots. He wrestles for CHAOS, a cool heel stable which is more of a title of relevance than anything. I really like Koslov, so it's sad to see him out in this fashion.

Group B:

Taichi
-This guy is a big surprise so far this year. Another member of Suzuki-gun, Taichi was more of the group's designated jobber for a while. Compound this with a scandal surrounding him cheating on his wife, which came out just before the beginning of BOSJ, nobody expected him to be doing this well. Very aggressive, a brawler, often using unclean finishes and heel tactics, he's a different type of Jr Heavyweight from the rest. His signature spot is where he tears off his long trousers to reveal his very short wrestling trunks. Usually this is his equivalent of putting down the straps on a singlet. His finisher, Black Mephisto, is an over-the-shoulder back-to-belly piledriver, or a smack in the face with a mic stand. A decent pick to advance.

Kenny Omega
-Signed with the more comedy-orientated DDT, Omega is a Canadian born wrestler who is also a massive weaboo. He speaks to the crowd in fluent Japanese, uses a remix of Okkusenman for an entrance theme and uses literally a Hadoken for a signature and finisher. He's very fun to watch, while he's great at comedy matches, he has seemingly unlimited stamina and can work a serious match very well. He stands out a lot with his curly blond hair and bright green trunks, but he's very strong and has a versatile moveset to back it up. His finisher, more frequently used than the EX Hadoken, is a bridging German suplex, starting from an electric chair position, Croyt's Wrath. He suffers the same problem as Ricochet as not being NJPW's own, but DDT wrestlers have already been pushed as big stars in NJPW...

Ryuusuke Taguchi
-The "Funky Weapon." A veteran, already one-time IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion, the 35-year old is often referred to as the Japanese Eddie Guerrero. He grooves in his entrance and pays homage to Eddie through the triple vertical suplexes. He's fresh off a feud with my favourite wrestler around, Prince Devitt. The two were a team under the name Apollo 55, where Devitt was a vanilla gaijin babyface, before Devitt turned on him after the two lost the Jr Tag belts. Devitt went on to form the Bullet Club, and ran roughshot over the roster until Taguchi defeated him in a Loser Leaves Town match a few months ago. For that reason, I hate this fucker. Finisher is a Glam Slam, which he calls the Dodon.

Rocky Romero
-The other half of the Forever Hooligans, but he's not the fun part for sure. Cuban-American, he used to wrestle under the Black Tiger Mask character in Japan. He's a lot more serious than Koslov, and has a lot less flair than him. Still solid enough, but nothing overwhelmingly special in my opinion. He uses a number of submission finishers, but can always bust out a Black Tiger Bomb when he needs to.

El Desperado
-A fresh addition to the NJPW roster, he is another masked wrestler who we are certain is, in fact, Japanese. He worked as a rookie for a while until he got the opportunity to train in Mexico with CMLL. When he returned, they decided he was ready enough for the main roster, and with his experience with the Lucha style, they gave him a more Mexican gimmick, which involves guitars, masks representing Mexican myths and a name that takes a lot of space to write in katakana(?) He debuted after Devitt lost the Jr Heavyweight Championship (aaaaaaaah), challenging the then and current champ Kota Ibushi to a match. He lost, of course, but he put on a great show. He's similar to BUSHI and Dorada, but with the added bonus of being fresh. He's still a little green, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off on him winning anything big for the time being. Look for a double underhook overhead gutwrench backbreaker rack transitioned into a piledriver, or just mark out when everyone else does if you can't remember.

Tiger Mask IV
-The Tiger Mask character is probably the second most legendary character in puroresu history, the first being Liger himself. An already popular manga character, the NJPW bookers in the 1980s were able to license the character to bring him to life in the ring, by having wrestlers portray him in matches. The first and arguably the best while under the mask was Satoru Sayama. After him, Dave Meltzer's mancrush Mitsuharu Misawa took over, then Koji Kanemoto, who won a couple BOSJ under his real name. Right now we have Yoshihiro Yamazaki, who's easily the worst and has pretty much coasted through on his persona. Diving headbutts and Tiger Suplexes.

Alex Shelley
-The other half of the Time Splitters, Shelley is probably better known for his work as part of the Motor City Machine Guns in ROH and TNA. While great in a tag team, he's as good on his own, and got incredibly over during last years BOSJ, where he ultimately took second to Prince Devitt. I really like this guy, he's got a great look (i.e. he's handsome as fuck), is very entertaining to watch and is one of few gaijin faces in NJPW right now, if not the only one. Despite getting so close last year, I feel like it's KUSHIDA's turn to get some real recognition, so he'll probably take a backseat to his partner. He mostly uses a shiranui for a finisher nowadays, which some will recognise as Brain Kendrick's finisher.

Nick Jackson
-The other Young Buck. Same as the other Young Buck, but with a 450 splash as a finisher. Fuck these guys, for real.

Prozach
Member Avatar
NOPE.
YOUNG BUCKSU GO HOMU

I really should follow NJPW more, but I've just never found the time to. I've become familiar with all the big names through word of mouth though, so when someone mentions Tanahashi or Okada, I know exactly who they're talking about and that it's a real big deal.

CommanderVid
Member Avatar
that's right snake
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!

The group stages for Best of the Super Juniors 2014 had ended. Here are the final rankings:

NJPW Best of Super Juniors 2014
Block ABlock B
KUSHIDA (10)
Ricochet (10)
TAKA Michinoku (8)
Matt Jackson (8)
BUSHI (8)
Máscara Dorada (6)
Jushin "Thunder" Liger (6)
Alex Koslov (withdrew)
Alex Shelley (8) (withdrew)
Ryuusuke Taguchi (8)
Taichi (8)
Nick Jackson (8)
Kenny Omega (6)
Tiger Mask IV (6)
El Desperado (6)
Rocky Romero (6)

As I expected, KUSHIDA and Ricochet got out of Block A with dominating performances. These two are well-deserving of a spot in the semis, and I'm glad that TAKA showed up well but fell short this time.
Block B was a shock for me, firstly because Shelley managed to take first, but also because he injured himself in the last fucking match. Dreams of a Time Splitters final have been shattered, although that was probably not going to happen anyway. Taguchi got in, which is shitty, and Taichi takes the second place spot because of Shelley's injury.

Therefore, the semifinals look like this:
KUSHIDA vs Taichi
Ricochet vs Ryuusuke Taguchi

Which leaves us with a potential KUSHIDA vs Ricochet final, which everybody on the planet wants to see. KUSHIDA's a lock at this point, but Jado and Gedo may take pity on Taguchi, who's had some beef with the Jr Champ Kota Ibushi recently. But hopefully they don't take it too far and give this old man another title shot for no reason, especially since he's challenged for the belt before very recently.

CommanderVid
Member Avatar
that's right snake
I DON'T CARE IF NOBODY READS THESE I'M FUCKING DOING THEM

Seeing as putting on a show with just three matches on the card would be really bad unless everyone put on ridiculously long matches, the BOSJ finals will be accompanied by a few other matches that have to do with current NJPW storylines. So THIS SUNDAY, very early in the morning/late at night depending on location, it's the Best of the Super Juniors 2014 Finals:

TenCozy (Satoshi Kojima and Hiroyoshi Tenzan), BUSHI and Kenny Omega vs Máscara Don, Jushin "Thunder" Liger, Tiger Mask IV and Máscara Dorada
-Ah, the heavyweight division. As per usual from a NJPW show, the opening match is a big fucking tag match just for the sake of showing off more guys.
--TenCozy are a legendary tag team in Japan, and are the current NWA Tag Team Champions (yes, THAT NWA). The two of them are multiple-time IWGP Heavyweight Champions, with Kojima also earning a ton of accolades in AJPW. They are also five time, five time, five time IWGP Tag Team Champions. Age has not slowed down at least one of them, as Kojima is still in as good a fighting shape as he's ever been, while Tenzan's years have really started to catch up to him. Hopefully there will be more of Kojima and his SWEET lariats than Tenzan and his Anaconda Vice (which he innovated, funnily enough.)
--Máscara Don usually wrestles for NJPW under his real name, Manabu Nakinishi, apparently. Much like TenCozy, he's on the older side of his 40s, but he's unfortunately more of a Tenzan. He's big, very big, but he's slow and gets gassed quickly. He is also a former IWGP Champ, but this was in 2009. He's lucky to have a great team to back him up, and also Tiger Mask IV.

Kota Ibushi and El Desperado vs CHAOS (Rocky Romero and Gedo)
-Kota Ibushi is the current IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion, and he is fantastic. Young and flippy, he's so good that he's signed to both NJPW and DDT. His finisher is a 450 with a twist, which is the best literal way to describe it I think.
-One half of the head bookers of NJPW, Gedo is another member of CHAOS. He acts as the mouthpiece of one Kazuchika Okada, who we may meet very soon. He's a good hand in the ring, although he's slowed down a lot with age. Him and his partner Jado are four time IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Champions, although that era is long gone. Gedo is notable for being a head booker who constantly books himself to lose. He did innovate the Complete Shot, the reverse STO, also known as the Little Jimmy, Pepsiman's finisher.

Yuji Nagata and Captain New Japan vs Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata
-Nagata is another veteran who is also the world champion of Pro Wrestling NOAH, another Japanese promotion. What NOAH's champ is doing probably losing in a midcard tag match is beyond me. He's pretty good still, despite being 46, and is a two time IWGP Champion. He's very submission based, and has a number of submission finishers, including one where he rolls his eyes back into his head like Undertaker.
-Captain New Japan is the biggest jobber to the stars that they've got. A masked man, he's portrayed as a huge underdog babyface, except he never wins. His finisher, if he'll ever get to use it, is the Tongan Death Grip. Still, he's useful for filling out tag matches.

-Goto and Shibata are old college buddies who began tag teaming very recently after finishing a sweet set of matches with each other.
Goto comes out dressed like a samurai and has a theme to match his gimmick. He won the 2008 G1 Climax (the single most important tournament in NJPW) and three separate New Japan Cups (the second most important tournament). Despite this, and despite earning title shot after title shot, he's never held the big belt, giving him the nickname "Choke Samurai."
Shibata once straight up killed a man when he was a rookie, and his style at this time is no less punishing. His gimmick is that he's a real shooter, he's gonna hit you very hard. Very athletic, does the most incredible looking corner dropkick, finisher is to kick you in the goddamn chest or the normal dad hold, and has incredible amounts of backstage heat. In a time when NJPW wasn't doing so well, he left the company to pursue a terrible MMA career. When he came back, he was given a big push, which made their own Cena, Hiroshi Tanahashi, incredibly bitter. His resentment towards Shibata has resulted in him not getting anywhere near the belt for a while now, although he is definitely due.

Best of the Super Junior Semi-Final Match: KUSHIDA vs Taichi

Best of the Super Junior Semi-Final Match: Ryuusuke Taguchi vs Ricochet

CHAOS (Toru Yano and Jado) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
-Toru Yano, another member of CHAOS, is well known for his DVDs, which he brings with him during his entrance. He hosts the CHAOS road trip shows, which shows the members of the CHAOS stable hanging out like normal people. He's a master of garbage brawling, never expect a real match out of this guy. A lot of chair shots and barricade spots while looking like a motherfucking dragon is what you'll probably get.
-Jado is the other half of Jado and Gedo, who's very western-influenced. Specifically, he's obviously a big Flair mark, WOOOing after doing chops, and using copious amounts of Flair Flop. He also uses the CROSSFACE OF JADO as his finisher, which is just a regular crossface, except Jado's doing it. Managing to one-up Gedo, he's also held the Jr Championship once.

-Minoru Suzuki is the leader of Suzuki-gun and a veteran of the Japanese wrestling scene. Of all the old guys on the show, he's easily the best, hasn't lost it at all. In fact, he put on Meltzer's match of the year last year against Tanahashi. He won multiple championships in AJPW, but he's criminally underused in NJPW. He's also got a fantastic entrance theme, which peaks at the line which everyone sings along to: KAZE NI NAREEEEEE. He's also very submission-based, which he's said in interviews is his preferred style. However, his finisher has his lift his opponent up as if he's going for the Neutralizer, but instead goes for a piledriver from the position. Oh, also, never be a ring boy when he's making his entrance, he will kick the shit out of you.
-Iizuka is a brand new member of Suzuki-gun, very recently turning on his long standing tag team partner and fellow member of CHAOS, Toru Yano. So you can see why this match is happening. Another garbage brawler, he's also well known for harassing one of the announcers during his entrance, handcuffing him and spray painting his chest. He's... a little eccentric. He looks scary as hell, but he's only ok in the ring. He often finishes opponents by putting on an iron glove and throatstabbing them.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito and Tomoaki Honma vs Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows and Tama Tonga)
-Tanahashi is the golden boy at NJPW. Like Cena, he's won the big belt a worryingly high amount of times, and occasionally wins matches he has no business winning, but unlike Cena he's a God in the ring. A truly outstanding wrestler in time, he pretty much single-handedly saved NJPW from all their issues around that time I mentioned before when Shibata left. He's currently one half of the No 1 Contenders to the IWGP Tag Team Championships with another golden veteran Togi Makabe. Unfortunately, he's gone on record as saying that he's not got too much time left. He's got great entrance music and a very exciting moveset, even if his post-match air guitar shows are Hogan-tier in length. His finisher is the HIGH FLY FLOW, a Frogsplash from the top rope, although all of his moves are a treat to watch.
-Tetsuya Naito, the Stardust Genius. A high flyer, former member of the Jrs division, he was sidelined with an injury for like forever. When he came back, they greeted him with a victory at the G1 Climax last year, which got him huge heat with some people because of what happened after. He's kinda toiled away in the midcard since, despite winning the NEVER Openweight Title, and hasn't really picked up steam as of late. His last few matches have all been losses, and he's nowhere near any belt. Which is a shame, because I like him. He's very athletic and uses the Stardust Press (aka Neville's Red Arrow) for a finisher. He's another guy who's probably due a belt very soon, but it's very hard to tell at this point.
-Tomoaki Honma is a former deathmatch wrestler who's destroyed his body in the process. He's been a bit of a tag match jobber whenever faces need to take a pin. That may have changed recently, though, after his fantastic match for the NEVER title a couple months ago. He lost, but looked amazing. He uses a lot of diving headbutts, but a little different from [REDACTED]'s. Notably, his method is to tilt his head, express pure mischief through his face, and then go completely rigid as he falls from the top rope.

-Bullet Club is a heel stable, except they don't get cheered unlike CHAOS. Almost entirely gaijins, they formed after Prince Devitt's shocking betrayal. They're quickly picking up every belt NJPW has to offer, with only three left to catch, two of them they're already No 1 Contenders for.
--The Machinegun Karl Anderson is one half of the IWGP Tag Team Champions. He's great, I really like watching him. He's a pretty big guy, but he's a great combination of strength and EXPLOSIVENESS MAGGLE. He uses an RKO/Ace Crusher/Diamond Cutter called the Gun Stun for a finisher, but he uses a ton of great heel and some comedy spots too. You wanna know the best part of being an American heel in Japan? You can swear all you want but the fans don't know what you're saying. Anderson is very well-liked backstage by the higher-ups and Tanahashi himself, but he's overlooked every now and again for title shots and whatnot. He's actually used as an advisor for bringing western talent to Japan right now, which is why it might be a good idea to start following New Japan at the moment.
--Gallows is the other half, and yes he's Luke Gallows of the Straight Edge Society. Not as good as Machinegun, but still pretty good. And that's good enough for me.
--Tama Tonga is the son of Meng, one dangerous mofo. He's young and green, but I think he's fine in the ring. He wears this creepy Sith facepaint and slides around the ring a lot which makes him seem a little deranged, but he usually doesn't stay in the ring for long. He's Bullet Club's designated jobber though, so I'd be worried for him in this match.

CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii and YOSHI-HASI) vs Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi and The Young Bucks)
-SWAGSUKE. The wiggliest man in all of wrestling and the current IWGP Intercontinental Champion. Funny thing about the IC belt is that it was introduced at the same level as the WWE IC Championship, but with Nakamura's constant winning of and subsequent high-levels feuds with the belt, it's become another world title to them. He won it off of Tanahashi himself, who won it off Nakamura himself during his second reign. He IS the IC title, but he's also a three-time IWGP Champ. He's probably the second or third biggest star they have right now, and he's also the founder of CHAOS. His running knee, the Bome Ye, is so good it often takes multiple to take an opponent down, but he fills time with a lot of great moves. Sadly, his body is beginning to fail him, and he might not have all that much left in the tank.
-The Rainmaker, Kazuchika Okada. The 57th and 59th IWGP Champion, but not at the moment. He won last year's Wrestler of the Year Award from WON, mostly stemming from a multiple 5-star match feud with Tanahashi for the belt. He's young, and probably the future of NJPW. He had a terrible stint in TNA a while ago, which they worked into a gimmick, saying that he made mad cash in America and is a big star over there (obviously not true, at least not because of TNA). His finisher is the Rainmaker, you'll know it when you see it, and also when the commentators scream "RAINMAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA." He's got huge beef with the Bullet Club, because a certain member of theirs was the one to end his long title reign. He won't be there at the show, though.
-Tomohiro Ishii is the current NEVER Champion, a belt that anyone can challenge, regardless of weight class. It meant literally nothing until Naito won it, and even then it took Ishii winning it off him to really elevate it. That match is currently in the running for Match of the Year, alongside every defense Ishii has made. He's overwhelmingly fantastic, possibly Wrestler of the Year at this point. He's got another defense coming up at Dominion, but really, watch any of his singles matches from 2014 and you'll be suitably blown away. My personal favourites would be against Honma or Ibushi. He uses a brainbuster for a finisher, but he can always bust out the STEINA SCREWDREIVA in a pinch.
-TACOS. There's nothing to say about YOSHI-HASI, believe me.

-The Underboss, Bad Luck Fale is the current contender to the IC title. He's a big Tongan mastadon, even if Gallows is taller than him. He's green for sure, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy his matches. He's a good big guy for smaller faces to work against, and has a killer look. Taking a cue from Umaga, he uses a Samoan Spike signature, but his finisher is where the magic happens. Called the Bad Luck Fall, he hoists his opponent over his head as if he was going for a Razor's Edge, but instead of a powerbomb, he just fucks you onto the canvas from all the way up there. It's probably not very safe, but then again this is Japanese wrestling we're talking about.
-Yujiro is the only Japanese member of Bullet Club, and is the contender to the NEVER title. He was also a former member of CHAOS, right up until he turned on them during an Okada title defence, causing him to lose his belt to a certain someone. He used to have a ladies man gimmick, coming out with Japanese porn stars (this may or may not be accurate) and calling himself Mr R Rating. I have no idea if he still does this, I hope so, his theme was boss. I never thought he was very special with CHAOS, and I'm not all the way convinced that he's very special right now. Oh well.

Main Event: Best of the Super Juniors Finals

Prozach
Member Avatar
NOPE.
Just watched the Super Juniors Finals. Easily the best match I've seen since Punk/Cena in 2011, might even be better.

DesuBlade
Member Avatar
深いダー♂ク ・ ファ♂ンタジー♂!
Prozach
Jun 12 2014, 10:30 PM
Just watched the Super Juniors Finals. Easily the best match I've seen since Punk/Cena in 2011, might even be better.
Let it be known that Ricochet was about to get signed to WWE, but they chose not to even with Jamie Noble vouching for Ricochet as the top acrobatic wrestler. They said they filled their quota for small agile guys.

For once, WWE did something right in not signing someone.

Opiyel
Member Avatar
EPF Creative & General Manager
Where can one watch this? I've recently seen clips of this and I gotta say, this might rekindle my love of pro-wrestling.

CultOfHey
Member Avatar
hey its a belt right
Thanks CommanderVid for being awesome. NJPW is my lifeblood, and I'm happy to see people so into it.

CommanderVid
Member Avatar
that's right snake
I WAS GONNA DO LITTLE BIOS FOR ALL THE G1 GUYS BUT FUCK THAT ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW IS THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE SHIBATA BE THE FUCKING BEST EVER.

CommanderVid
Member Avatar
that's right snake
This is a day late but I don't give a fuck man.

Since the BOSJ finals, there was Dominion and then some Kizuna Road shows, which all basically lead up to this next few weeks, which is the G1 Climax! NJPW's most prestigious tournament, it all started way back in 1974 when Antonio Inoki went the fuck over in the very first World League. This is the 30 year anniversary, the 24th year of G1 as we know it, and the lineup is immensely stacked. It's wide open for anyone to win in my opinion, so I'll just give a little bio for everyone for people who aren't as familiar with the roster and were turned off by me writing too much before. I'll do better this time.

G1 Climax 2014
Block ABlock B
Bad Luck Fale
Shelton X Benjamin
Luke Gallows
Tomoaki Honma
Tomohiro Ishii
Satoshi Kojima
Yuji Nagata
Shinsuke Nakamura
Katsuyori Shibata
Davey Boy Smith Jr
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Karl Anderson
Lance Archer
Hirooki Goto
Togi Makabe
Tetsuya Naito
Kazuchika Okada
A.J. Styles
Minoru Suzuki
Yujiro Takahashi
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Toru Yano

Block A:
Bad Luck Fale

Shelton X Benjamin

Doc Gallows

Tomoaki Honma

Tomohiro Ishii

Satoshi Kojima

Yuji Nagata

Shinsuke Nakamura

Katsuyori Shibata

Davey Boy Smith Jr

Hiroshi Tanahashi

Block B:
Karl Anderson

Lance Archer

Hirooki Goto

Togi Makabe

Tetsuya Naito

Kazuchika Okada

A.J. Styles

Minoru Suzuki

Yujiro Takahashi

Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Toru Yano

BAH GAWD KANG
Member Avatar
Pin Happy
Why is Ishii so based?

DocGilgamesh
Member Avatar

BAH GAWD KANG
Jul 23 2014, 11:25 AM
Why is Ishii so based?
Having no neck does wonders for you.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Japanese Promotions · Next Topic »
Add Reply