Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Remove from Multiquote Add to Multiquote
Add Reply
WVGCW: Genesis Official Discussion; Now featuring blast processing!
Topic Started: Feb 6 2018, 07:30 PM (1,292 Views)
Nap1400
Member Avatar

Welcome to WVGCW: Genesis! Let’s get down to business.

WVGCW: Genesis is, at its core, a way for a bunch of potential newcomers--some from the pitch threads, some lesser known faces--to have a chance to show how well they can do in the ring. While we didn’t want to do a full developmental league like SNST or EDBW, we also didn’t want to do a WVGCW Star Road as it would mean a bunch of the competitors could potentially blow their shot in one match. Therefore we decided to do take a different route: a round robin tournament very heavily inspired by the annual G-1 Climax held by New Japan Pro Wrestling. This way everyone has enough matches to show their ring work and we can have a fun competition while doing so. If you’re unfamiliar how this kind of tournament goes, here’s a rundown:

-The competitors of the tournament are divided into equal-person blocks. As we have 12 competitors, that means we have two blocks of 6 wrestlers each.
-Every competitor has one vanilla 1v1 match with the rest of the competitors in their block. The winner of each match gains 2 points, and the loser of each match gains 0 points. In the event of a tie, which in the case of 2k17 means a double countout, each competitor gets 1 point.
-Once everyone has faced each other in their block, the one with the most points is considered the winner of their block. In the event of two competitors having the same amount of points, the winner of the block is the one who won the match between those two competitors (i.e. Say Mila beats Undyne during the block phase. If Mila and Undyne are tied at first for points at the end, Mila is declared the winner of the block.). If that match resulted in a tie, we might have to hold a falls count anywhere tiebreaker match, but we’ll cross that bridge if we get to it.
-The winners of each block face each other in a grand finals match. Whoever wins this is declared the winner of the overall tournament.

So, who’s in which block, you might be wondering? I got them for you right here:

A BLOCK
Tron Bonne
Mila
Undyne
Dana Zane
The Amazon
May

B BLOCK
The Rogue
Midna
Selvaria Bles
Zero
Velvet Crowe
White Mage

Now let me set something straight: unlike Star Road, the winner is not guaranteed a spot in WVGCW’s roster. The ones who are most likely to get a spot in WVGCW’s roster will be the ones the audience likes the most. We’ll likely put out a survey at the end of the tournament to determine that.

Scheduling for this show will vary from week to week, but basically expect episodes on Tuesday when WVGCW proper is taking a “break” week, and Thursday/Friday otherwise. Each episode will have either 6 matches like tonight, or 4 matches with a filler match involving the remaining competitors to add some variety. Hope you like no stake tag matches!

One more thing: we won’t be creating character forums for the competitors while they’re on Genesis. While Mila, Undyne, and Tron already have threads in EDBW, and I’m sure someone bumped them while the tournament was going on, I’d very much prefer if we kept most character discussion in here to keep everything fair.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask them here!

And last, but certainly not least:

OFFICIAL SCORECARD

Edited by Nap1400, Feb 13 2018, 07:08 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Goto Top

Nap1400
Member Avatar

Now, with that all settled, I have a feeling most people in the audience doesn’t know every single competitor in Genesis. So I decided to write profiles for all of our competitors, that way everyone at least has a vague idea of what their deal is. And here they are:

”MEET THE A BLOCK”

”MEET THE B BLOCK”
Edited by Nap1400, Feb 6 2018, 08:16 PM.

Mosaique
Member Avatar
>dirtsheets
>Not Chaos Dunk

elcidthehero
Member Avatar
A good dad and wrestler.
Whatever happens, I think it's safe to say the show is off to a good start.

PunkBoy
Member Avatar
The Sweetest Sting
Fun first episode! Glad to see Mila have a really good match with Dana and come out with a win.

giygasattack
Member Avatar
NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS
I hope the final is Amazon vs White Mage.

ProfWinter

Okay, Tron, you got your second chance. Just be exciting, don't screw up, and be yourself.

Unless being yourself means screwing up, then don't do that. Win the matches, Tron.

Icicle7x3
Member Avatar
So So
Cmon Rogue, gank all these n00bs

Captain Rodriguez
Member Avatar

OFFICIAL WVGCW GENESIS LIST OF /MYGUYS/, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

MIDNA
VELVET
MAY
ROGUE
WHITE MAGE

Jayarrpee
Member Avatar
epic maymay
I have a question: Should music suggestions go in this thread, in the main show music suggestions thread, or are they not needed?

Nap1400
Member Avatar

Jayarrpee
Feb 6 2018, 07:48 PM
I have a question: Should music suggestions go in this thread, in the main show music suggestions thread, or are they not needed?
Put them in the main show music thread.

DoctorStrangelove
Member Avatar

I guess White Mages can dunk.

AntUnderTheMoon
Member Avatar

Captain Rodriguez
Feb 6 2018, 07:44 PM
OFFICIAL WVGCW GENESIS LIST OF /MYGUYS/, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

VELVET
SELVARIA
AMAZON

Sciencejoe
Member Avatar
Releasing a Heartful Cry
A very stellar card all around for this first night!

The entire concept is something I've been looking forward to for a while. If I felt like it, I'd just compose a huge list of "WEN WV STAR ROAD" messages I've posted in Super Server, but I'm not going to do that. This is an excellent compromise between an entire league and a tournament.

I feel like it's hard to give anything really conclusive or productive since it's just the first night, but I'm honestly big fans of everyone here except Zero (only because I'm unfamiliar with her source, and I'm sure she can win my heart after some time). White Mage and Amazon surprised me, as did the overall positive reaction to them. I've only just recently gotten into Final Fantasy, but the former has already got me rooting for her and I look forward to her other matches. I fear that her personality might be a little too bland compared to what we have on the current WV roster in terms of plot, but her battle against Selvaria was amazing.

Dana got a few "whos", so I hope that her nameplate just gets changed to "Dana Zane", as "The Red Comet" is something you'll only get if you've actually played VA-11 Hall-A (or google it), but her match against Mila was impressive. Mila ending it with a sudden Sweetest Sting was surprising, but she kinda deserved it after tanking Dana's offense.

And finally, I'm hoping to see more from May and Velvet. Their matches weren't bad, but I don't have anything super interesting to say about them just yet.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Also, rooting for May or Amazon for Block A, and White Mage or Velvet for Block B.
Edited by Sciencejoe, Feb 6 2018, 08:17 PM.

DoctorStrangelove
Member Avatar

I'm glad there's some sort of developmental show after EDBW got RIP and this seems like a good format for it.

Also how many episodes do you expect each tournament to take?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · WVGCW Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply